Tuesday, February 16, 2016

What's with the title "A Total Idiot's Guide to Home Inspections"?


In 2011 an unethical real estate agent broadcast false and misleading information about me in an email to most of the real estate agents in my community in an effort to steer business away from my inspection company, at one point referring to me as a "total idiot."  The agent didn't smear me because I'm an inadequate inspector, the agent was upset because I conducted a thorough inspection exposing serious flaws at a property she'd listed. 

Subsequently the Nebraska Real Estate Commission disciplined the agent for such inappropriate behavior, but the damage to my reputation at that point was irreparable.  Instead of letting it get me down I've decided to use the experience as a motivational tool for exposing the behind-the-scenes world of the home inspection and real estate industries.  My goal is to educate home buyers, home sellers, real estate agents, home inspectors and those interested in the workings of the real estate industry by sharing stories about my own experiences as a home inspector, and maybe someday write a book about it all.

3 comments:

  1. This is brilliant. But I want to know why "Realtor" is capitalized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Jennifer. One of the future blogs will discuss the National Association of Realtors (NAR) and explain why the term "Realtor" is trademarked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quality information and explanations thanks for sharing your knowledge. I checked out a home we are considering purchasing on the site you referenced- www.homefacts.com . Oh my it has so much information to consider, again thank you.

    ReplyDelete